Friday, May 30, 2014

Big News from FAMILY Magazine and Brenda Hyde

May might be coming to an end but it has much more to give to me and to my family. Like the song in the musical Carousel I quoted earlier this month in the magazine blog, “March went out like a lion and April sighed and stepped aside. Along came funny little May. May was full of promises.”

For me, this May held especially significant promises that all seem to be coming true. First, I love May – the 8th is my birthday. And this year, the gift I’m giving myself is a big change. Equal parts exciting and scary.

Here goes: I am retiring from publishing and moving out of the country. Whew, kind of a big deal, huh?

It has been over 25 years since I founded FAMILY Magazine. During that time, I have been so blessed to be able to share with you the joys and trials of raising kids in the DC area. We were all doing it together – me, my staff, our readers sharing our challenges and accomplishments.

FAMILY Magazine is like a child I’ve raised and am now ready to send out into the world under someone else’s care. Our mission, from the very beginning, has been to make it easier for our readers to raise kids in this crazy area we all call home. I am always so pleased when you tell me how you count on our magazine for parenting advice and resources month after month.
Donna and Brenda

Twenty five years is a long time for any endeavor – longer than most kids (if all goes to plan) live at home with us. There have been so many great times and, as with any venture that has meaning, challenges along the way. As I grew FAMILY the business, my own family grew right alongside (grandkids!).

If you’ve been following my blog, you know that March was fabulous wedding month. My youngest daughter Brittany got married, and all four of my children were there to celebrate. It really made me realize that no matter how self-sufficient our kids are, no matter how successfully we’ve launched them, mom is always the mom.

In publishing a magazine dedicated to parents, I find myriad reasons to play the mom in my professional digs. I’m a big believer in helping young folks get their start. I hope our interns don’t mind the motherly advice I offer them. There’s little natural distinction between parenting and management. Many issues in business, and yes, politics, could be well handled with some re-direction and possibly a time out or two. 

So in the name of good management, I am turning the reigns of FAMILY Magazine over to Northern Virginia Media Services to oversee my “baby” take its next steps. Northern Virginia Media Services  is a very capable group with seven other publications here in the Washington area. I have no doubt they will carry on our traditions and keep providing you the great information you’ve come to expect from us. It’s important to me that FAMILY Magazine will be very well taken care of – most of all for my staff “family”. It’s going to be tough to say goodbye!

As FAMILY Magazine moves into its next stage, I am sad like all parents whose kids move on, but also gratified and excited about the growth and change that FAMILY will experience. 

Personally my next stage is a big move – to the Middle East. My husband has been given the opportunity to build a business in that far flung part of the world. It will undoubtedly present big challenges for our family along with great adventures. And you know me, I love a good adventure. I was thrilled to hear there is some exciting scuba diving on that side of the world.

So for some final words as Publisher of FAMILY Magazine to my wonderful, wonderful readers: I have loved every month, every issue of the magazine and especially every time I had the opportunity to meet you! I thank you for giving me such great memories to take with me as I travel into this next phase of my life.

In the spirit of always being a mom, I leave you with some advice. It’s what I’ve always told anyone who would listen – and I believe it holds its importance. Enjoy every single moment of life, savor the time with your children and especially find joy in your marriage partnership. 

On our refrigerator I have a note I wrote to myself over 25 years ago, “Life is short, dance often.” I’ll be packing that up carefully to inspire me on the other side of the planet. I’ll miss DC, the magazine, my team, our great advertisers, and YOU.

My traditional sign off has always been “Til next month, Happy Parenting!” For this, my last "Publisher’s Blog," I opened with a song, so I’ll close it by humming “Til we meet again…Happy Parenting!”  My next blog will come to you from the Middle East!

Brenda

1 comment:

  1. Brenda, Just stopped by your blog here to say Hello! Hope all is well in your new home. Are you still there in the Middle East? Sending you warm greetings from Northern Virginia where spring has sprung thankfully! Take Care! Angela

    ReplyDelete