Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hurricanes and Floods

The craziness here in Florida as Hurricane Irma approaches reminds me of snow in Virginia.  All the East Coast weatherman had to do was mention there was a slight chance of flurries and the grocery store would be completely cleaned out.

This morning I snagged some of the last cases of water at our local grocery store AT 6:45AM.



When I arrived at the store there were already around 50 or 60 people in line. When the store finally opened, I let a couple of elderly people go in front of me which could have been a problem.  However when I finally arrived at the water, the clerk was able to load 4 cases into my basket.  Then the water was all gone (until the next shipment arrives)!

Just 2 days ago we were at the beach with LW.
At least with a hurricane, you have lots of warning that one is approaching.

It has been a busy week for disasters.  The lady (IB) who owns the company that cleans my house told me she was going to Texas to do some insurance work and she was going to pull a trailer of donated items.

IB and I are loading goodies from my golf cart into her van.

I immediately organized my Ladies Golf Group to gather up some donations for the families in Texas.  It reminded me so much of when I had FAMILIES Magazine and we organized a Teddy bear drive (Hugs from DC) for the tornado victims in Moore, Oklahoma.

The ladies pulled together a good load of REALLY wonderful items that overfilled my golf cart and made a nice addition to IB's trailer.  It felt really good.  Maybe it is time for me to look around for a "cause" here in Florida.



Maybe I will just wait a week and Mother Nature will create one for me.  I HOPE NOT!

Hopefully I will be blogging about how we missed most of the storm.  Time will tell.

But Hubby D and I have plenty of water, canned food, candles and a couple of bottles of some great wine that we would not want destroyed in the storm.

Cheers,
Brenda


1 comment:

  1. Thanks to all of you for all the wonderful donations. I'm sure it will bring smiles to many desperate faces. I'll keep you posted as we travel along.

    ReplyDelete