Friday, August 25, 2017

Adventures with College Kids

As fate would have it, I have two grandchildren that are both rising seniors in college this year.  MVL is studying Architectural Engineering at the University of Oklahoma and BSJ is studying Digital Forensics and Computer Cryptography at the University of North Florida.

University of North Florida

University of Oklahoma


This summer both MVL and BSJ spent some time with us in Florida.  It was great to have them together. The also have always been close and great friends as they share many, many common interests.  And, I will just say it – they are both brainy nerds.  This is a compliment.

MVL was able to stay with us for almost two full weeks and BSJ was only here for 4 days.

MVL and I played 6 rounds of golf.  WAHOO!
This is one of my favorite photos of all time. BSJ and I were diving in the Bahamas. 

One day we sat down over lunch and talked about college graduation. Before I can tell you about our conversation, I need to give you some history.  When daughter BHB graduated from high school, my niece who lives in California also graduated from high school on the very same weekend.  My mom and dad flew the red eye from San Francisco to Washington DC so they could attend both graduations. WHEW!

Here the kids were searching for their graduation ceremony dates (and probably playing games as well) at our breakfast table.

When I started planning on my “graduation conversation” with MVL and BSJ I kept hoping that there would not be a conflict and we would not need to do any painful flights to be able to make both graduations.  BECAUSE we WOULD be at both graduations!

Thankfully BSJ’s graduation ceremony will be in Jacksonville, Florida on April 27 and MVL’s graduation ceremony will be in Norman, Oklahoma on May 12.

Both are going on to graduate school for their master’s degree.  BSJ will be working first before he starts his master’s but MVL will move right into the engineering program at OU.  She is already taking some classes that apply to her master’s degree.

This summer we had fun playing golf, visiting the beach, shopping for back to school, going to Orlando, eating at great restaurants and just hanging out catching on up the Game of Thrones TV series. We even worked in some dominos.  We can’t get together without playing at least one strategy game.

When we were going through the game boxes, we found these score cards from the past.  I am sure both kids were in elementary school.  Wow, what memories.
They are both back at school hitting the books, but I have some great memories of two super young people and how much fun they had with their grandmother.

Cheers,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment