Friday, January 12, 2018

Our First Cooking Class

During our stay in Italy we scheduled two cooking classes. 

Granddaughter MVL inspired me. For some time she has been taking cooking classes for entertainment with her long time steady boyfriend, EF. Every time they take a class, she tells me about it. The classes sound like so much fun, I thought Hubby D and I should try one. Europe seemed like a great place for that experiment.

Our first class was in Spello and we took a cooking class with Marco Gubbioti. Marco is a famous chef in Umbria and works a great deal with the Angelini family at Enoteca Properzio. Our class was held in the private kitchen at the Entoteca Properzio.

To say it was fabulous would be an understatement.

Do I hear a theme going on for our visit to Spello? FABULOUS!

If you go to the Enoteca Properzio's page on Trip Advisor, in this picture Marco is cooking in their kitchen.
This picture is taken from an online video of an Umbrian wedding. Marco designed the cake. 

For our class we cooked eggs with truffles over potatoes, pork loin marinated in citrus with pumpkin, risotto with pork cheeks in tomato sauce. Our desert was a soup of fruits and vanilla cream.













Did that make you hungry? It was amazing. And, it was paired with several Umbrian wines. 2015 Giusto di Notri, 2014 Andrea Formilli Fendi, 2014 Pinot Nero, and we tried some grappa at the end but neither one of us cared for it.





One important element in the cooking was the type of olive oil Chef Gubbioti used. He was very particular. Mostly he used Alberto Cipolloni.


All of the wines, food and olive oil were from Umbria. On this trip, we have come to have a much greater understanding of the fabulous wines and olive oil from Umbria.

I was very interested in the risotto. I have never attempted risotto and I asked a million questions.  Chef Gubbioti was very nice and told me all I wanted to know. 


After our culinary adventure, we had to go for a walk. The wine and rich food were overwhelming.  At the park, Hubby D sat on a nice bench and I laid my head in his lap. It was heaven.





Later after a nap, we took a stroll in the town after dark. It was very relaxing and a wonderful end to a marvelous day.

Ciao,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment