Monday, May 21, 2018

Graduating Two Great Grandchildren

My parents are experiencing something not very many people are lucky enough to experience. They are witnessing the college graduation of two of their Great Grandchildren. Wow, how amazing.



I like to say I am also experiencing the graduation of two Grandchildren that are GREAT!

Mom and Dad are solid stock Midwest people. They live on a small acreage and still do all their own maintinance. They built their house. In fact, every nail in their house was put there by my dad, mom or a member of our family. One time I called home to talk to my mom (she was in her 70’s at the time) and she was on the roof helping my dad lay shingles. They are just “get it done” people.

The first graduation was for my grandson, BSJ.



BSJ attended the University of North Florida (UNF) in Jacksonville, Florida. He graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree.

When BSJ was just a youngster I used to call him our first family geek. He always loved computers and constantly played strategy games. Every Christmas I search for a new game that will challenge him. He and Granddaughter MVL are nerds. This is actually a compliment. One time I took them to the grand opening of the Harry Potter experience at Disney World. Another time we shared the midnight opening of a new Harry Potter movie by texting together from a theatre in Virginia and a theatre in Florida AT MIDNIGHT.  Are we dedicated grandparents or what?

So how could we celebrate this milestone in a way that would show BSJ how proud we are of him? For daughter BHB’s college graduation I rented an entire beach house and the whole family came to celebrate. For BSJ’s graduation, I decided to do it again.

An added benefit was that my mom and dad love the beach, particularly mom. Over the years I have tried to invite mom to the beach where ever we happen to have a vacation condo. As you may know, I also love the beach.

We have some good summer memories of mom with her Great Grandchildren at the beach. I took a big envelope of photos of both grandkids to have out and enjoy during our celebrations. Some of these were from our beach trips.



Our beach house for BSJ’s celebration was right on Atlantic Beach just down the road from UNF. Mom and Dad flew out a few days early to spend the time with me, Hubby D, BSJ’s mom ASJ, as well as Granddaughter MVL who flew out just for graduation – she was still in the midst of finals.

It was a great time.


BSJ's mom was lucky and her seat was directly next to his row. She had a great view!
Granddaughter MVL, Mom, BSJ and Dad.


We are very proud of BSJ and it was wonderful to see him enjoying the moment with friends and family.

The graduation ceremonies started in the morning but BSJ's (Engineering and Computer Sciences) was at 4PM. After the ceremonies, we held a cookout on the patio overlooking the beach with friends and family. It was very special and a memory I will cherish.

Mom, me, my daughter and BSJ - Four Generations.




The next day after a long walk on the beach picking up a few more shells, we left the beach and drove to our home taking mom and dad along for a few more days of relaxation around the pool.

Mom and MVL for one last stroll down the beach. On this day, there were not very many shells.

The second graduation took place in Oklahoma where Granddaughter MVL attends the University of Oklahoma (OU).

MVL graduated with Special Distinction with a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering degree. MVL was also chosen 2018 Engineer of the Year for Architectural Engineering and was asked by the Dean of the Engineering School to carry the banner into the graduation ceremonies for the Gallogy College of Engineering, School of Civil and Architectural Engineering.




Mom and dad live close to OU so we held the family gathering at their home out in the woods. It was great to have so many family gather to celebrate. Those that could not attend BSJ’s graduation in Jacksonville also joined us in Oklahoma so we celebrated his graduation one more time. Party, party, party – this is fun!

MVL’s mom and brother came to Oklahoma from Oregon for MVL’s graduation even though grandson MB had to give up attending the National finals for a competition he won for Alternative Energy. His team came in second in the State of Oregon and went on to finals in Chicago. His mom moaned that her two smart kids were competing against each other for the limelight.


The gold collar signifies she graduated with Special Distinction.






There are benefits and draw backs to having our celebration at my parent’s home. Remember, we just stayed with them 3 weeks ago when MVL received her special award.

I feel really guilty that they do so much work in preparation and again after we leave. I have tried to to hire help for them but they insist that they can do it and do not want help. I do all I can while I am there, but they just keep on working.

The biggest benefit of seeing Granddaughter MVL and her friends at my parents home is that it is in a more casual and relaxed setting. MVL brought several friends over each night and they also came to her party on Sunday.
One night we even had a bit of karaoke at the piano.

Graduation was on Saturday and because of the size of the graduating class at OU, it was staggered into several ceremonies. MVL’s ceremony was held at 7PM that night. There was no time after the ceremony to hold a party so we opted for an “open house” the next day. This just happened to be Mother’s Day as well.

We had 4 generations at our celebration AGAIN. This was just too cool.

My mom, me, daughter MB and the graduate, MVL.


Son BJB surprised the family and arrived in time for the party and Mother's Day (YEA!!!). Here he is with both of the graduates and his faithful dog, Blaze.
MVL is already into her graduate studies and we will be doing this celebration again next May when she receives her Master’s Degree.

The parties are over, Hubby D is flying to California for work and I am on my way back to our home in Florida. Whew, I am exhausted!

Because Hubby D will be gone all week, I don’t have to cook for several days. After the marathon family gatherings over the past 5 weeks (I cooked for the crowd with mom every meal) I AM SO EXCITED.  I can replace the worn nail polish on my fingers and maybe hit a few golf balls.

Cheers,
Brenda

P.S. As I am posting this blog, we are into what I call our "Birthday season." Son BJB, daughter BHB and I all have birthdays within 10 days of each other. We traditionally have angel food cake and home made ice cream for our birthdays. I will need to go on a diet when I get finished with all the cake and ice cream this year, but it is yummy!
The orchid was a gift to me from BHB and I made the cake to take to her birthday celebration!



No comments:

Post a Comment