Friday, February 1, 2013

Broken Resolutions


The February issue of FAMILY Magazine is available in the stands and online!  Here is my Mom Blog from that issue.  Just pondering a bit over how we're going to learn to work together - I'm thinking the kids have it figured out...

Broken Resolutions

I sometimes FEEL that I am right. I do not KNOW that I am.” - Albert Einstein

Now that we’ve done the holiday recovery period, also known as January, I am ready to get down to the real business of 2013. I’ve been thinking a lot about how to approach the challenges we face in this still quite “New” Year. I’m over the whole resolution thing. I never lack for projects that need my attention. My challenge is figuring out how to get things done that are already on my to do list.

I’m lucky to be surrounded by very capable folks who are willing to step up and do what it takes to get our great Magazine out every month. We don’t always agree on what goes in, what stays out, and what every page will look like, but we manage to work together and create products we’re happy with every month.

The tie that binds us (in a good way) is that there’s never a moment when any of us forgets the goal. We all want our readers to have a great experience with each issue of our Magazine and to enjoy our online offerings as well. It seems normal enough to work through our differences so we can make things happen.

It made me stop and think: why does it seem so hard for our politicians to find a way to create even the smallest agreements? Like us, they all seem to want the same thing – a safer, stronger, successful America. It’s just a wonder they can’t come to any common understanding on how to get there.

I fear what our kids are learning as they watch what we generously call the political “process.” Blaming, calling names, making threats are all part of the game. Interestingly enough, those same behaviors are on those bullying watch lists our grade schoolers get during school assemblies. They’re told to - pardon the expression – “tell the teacher” if they see that sort of nonsense going on at school.

A first lesson for all of us is that we’re almost never 100% “right.” Few things are beyond debate – I fully appreciate the gravity holding me down as I consider this. If Timmy wants to play baseball and Tammy wants to play soccer, who’s right? Doesn’t matter. Even kids know that if they can’t work it out, neither one is going to get to play ball.

So taxes, debt ceilings, immigration – oh my. Bigger problems by far than backyard ball, but where’s the mystery? As both sides dig in their heels, the one thing we’re sure of is that nothing is going to happen. Tons of hoopla and playground antics but no ballgame.

Those posters that list the things we learned in Kindergarten would be a fine addition to the capitol décor. Share everything, play fair, clean up your own mess, stick together. Maybe we don’t have to worry too much about our kids. The closer they are to kindergarten, the more they remember those important lessons.

Makes me want a snack. Milk and cookies? I’ll be sure to share with my office mates. We’ll have to negotiate who gets the one with the most chocolate chips, but I can see that happening without much rancor. However, I do regret not having time for an afternoon nap….

So if you have a minute to spare, it’ll be well spent checking out this FAMILY Magazine issue – and feel free to come up with your own opinion on any of our chosen topics. We’ll respect you for it! We’re sure you’ll find something that interests you.

On page 20, Dr. Kangarloo maps out how to keep your baby’s teeth healthy, and we’re excited to share with you some important research being done at Georgetown Lombardi on page 26. Be sure to check out the summer camp info in this issue (pages 58-74) and online at our virtual camp fair. Nothing like a week in the woods to teach a group of kids how to work together. Life lessons with a big helping of fun!

Here’s to negotiating our way through February!

-Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment