Sunday, February 1, 2015

LWB Has Arrived

Things in Florida could not be better!

The new baby arrived on January 25 at 5:03 AM.  Little LWB weighed in at 7 pounds and 6 ounces. He was 20.5 inches long.


I don't think "Dad" had more than 10 minutes sleep in over 48 hours.
Unfortunately after 20 hours of labor, BHB had an emergency caesarean section. The most important thing was the safety of BHB and the little baby so the doctor decided to take over for her and finish the delivery. 

It was a long, long 20 hours and truthfully I was very happy when the decision was made for a caesarean.

If you want a play by play of the 20 hours, I will be happy to tell you all about it, but for now I am happy to just write about how great everything is right now.


Mom and baby came home on Tuesday afternoon.  Little LWB has already exceeded my expectations by sleeping over 6 hours at a stretch a couple of times.
All this moving around getting ready to go home wears a boy out.
Here LWB is getting strapped into his car seat by his dad for the first time.
LWB's dad is doing a great job. I am really impressed on how modern dads participate in the day to day activities of taking care of a new born.  RB stayed all night at the hospital the first night even though he had not had any sleep for over 36 hours. What at man! I finally convinced him to go home the second night and let me stay. After some sleep, he was a changed man the next day.

BHB is doing a great job of establishing a good breastfeeding routine and little LWB is learning how to nurse more effectively every day.

I cannot tell you how much I love holding little LWB. There is just something magical when I have him in my arms. He smells sweet, he feels soft as velvet and he has the cutest little face. I believe he is the cutest, smartest and best baby.

Grandma (Oma) and grandson just hours after his birth.
Except for the emergency caesarean section, the whole experience has been so much better than I imagined. Having been here for a few weeks in anticipation of the birth and now being here daily is just outright FUN!

While BHB (the new mom) was in the hospital, D (the grandpa) was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on business. The day they were scheduled to go home from the hospital, we had set up a tentative time for D to call and Skype with LWB.  The time came and passed.  BHB was released to leave and we gathered everything up to go to the car. Just as we stepped into the elevator, D called. He had been delayed by a longer than anticipated drive from Riyadh.  Quickly I switched on the Skype and he met little LWB face to face via the Internet.

It was so cute to see him talking to LWB through my cell phone.

LWB is a special baby.  After all, how many little babies can say they talked to their grandpa from the Middle East on their way home from the hospital?

D will arrive in Florida on Feb. 12 so he can experience the thrill of holding little LWB in his arms. 

We are scheduled to return to the Middle East on February 16 together.  I already miss little LWB. 

D and I have already started planning our trip back to Florida to spend more time with LWB. Until then, I think we may have to set up a weekly Skype (if not more often).

Some time ago when I was doing research on the internet - I believe even before BHB was expecting -- I found this little poem. No credit was given to the author so I do not know who wrote it. However, the words speak to the deep love between parents and their children - and grandchildren. I thought it was very touching and I have been saving it to share.

Before you were conceived,
I wanted you.
Before you were born,
I loved you.
Before you were here an hour,
I would die for you.
This is the miracle of love.

Cheers!


Brenda

LWB settled in at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment